A Man Swallowed a Bleach Pill As a substitute of a Ache Reliever. Then His Throat Tissue Began to Die.


A Swiss man's headache became one thing a lot worse when he unintentionally swallowed a bleach pill as a substitute of a ache reliever, in accordance with a brand new report of the case.

The pill mix-up landed the person within the hospital for weeks, throughout which he misplaced his voice and the tissue in his throat began to die, the report mentioned.

The accident occurred when the 65-year-old man, looking for aid from his headache, reached for what he thought was an acetaminophen (the lively ingredient in Tylenol) pill close to his kitchen sink.

Confused by his headache ache, nevertheless, he unintentionally swallowed a three.5-gram (zero.12 ounces) bleach  pill, adopted by a glass of water, in accordance with the report, written by docs at Geneva College Hospitals in Switzerland.

After a man in Switzerland swallowed a bleach tablet, the tissue in his throat started to die, or necrotize. Above, an image of the man's throat showing necrotic tissue around the man's vocal chords. (The image also shows an intubation tube used to maintain an open airway.)
After a person in Switzerland swallowed a bleach pill, the tissue in his throat began to die, or necrotize. Above, a picture of the person’s throat displaying necrotic tissue across the man’s vocal chords. (The picture additionally exhibits an intubation tube used to take care of an open airway.)

Credit score: Dr. Caroline Boonekamp, et al/BMJ Case Studies/CC by four.zero

Instantly, the person felt a burning sensation in his mouth and throat. He managed to cough up a part of the pill. However he nonetheless had ache whereas swallowing and issue talking, so he went to the emergency room. [27 Oddest Medical Cases]

On the hospital, the person's throat ache initially improved after he was given an opioid painkiller. However 6 hours later, the person's situation worsened — he had issue respiration and extreme throat ache, and he misplaced his voice.

"I used to be drowsy, my throat was painful and I might probably not discuss anymore," the affected person, whose identification was not revealed, is quoted as saying within the report, printed within the June 21 situation of the journal BMJ Case Studies. "I keep in mind that I wanted to urinate, but it surely was denied to me as a result of 'there was no time.'"

An examination of the person's throat revealed that tissue above his vocal chords had began to die, or necrotize, and there was swelling in his larynx, or voice field.

The person wanted a tracheostomy, or a surgically made gap in his windpipe, to assist him breathe. He was additionally handled with steroids and a proton pump inhibitor, which is a medicine that reduces abdomen acid. The person additionally developed a lung an infection whereas within the hospital, which required antibiotics.

After the person spent about two weeks in intensive care, his throat had healed sufficient to permit docs to take away the respiration tube, and he was despatched dwelling. At first, the person might eat solely "clean" (pureed) meals, however ultimately, he was capable of eat strong meals once more.

Ingestion of "caustic," or corrosive, cleansing chemical compounds is comparatively widespread, with an estimated 200,000 circumstances reported in the US annually, in accordance with Medscape. Nevertheless, most frequently when bleach is ingested unintentionally, it's within the liquid type, whereas reviews of individuals swallowing bleach in pill type are uncommon, the brand new report mentioned.

The brand new case underscores "the significance of applicable storage for medicines and cleansing merchandise," the researchers concluded.

Unique article on Micronis.


log in

reset password

Back to
log in